Frequently Asked Questions

Find out a little more about your day at Hayne House

How much do weddings at Hayne House cost?
You can use our price guide to help give you an idea of cost of your wedding at Hayne House. For a bespoke, transparent quote, please fill in our enquiry form.

What time can we access the Orangery on the morning of the wedding?
Suppliers will be able to access the venue from 09:00 on the morning of the wedding.

Can we have live flamed candles?
Candles are sadly not permitted at any times.

Are live bands permitted?
For evening music, we only allow the bands ‘Happy Hour’, ‘Vivo’, and ‘The Redfords’. Please get in touch with Hayne House before booking any live music. All electrical equipment must be Portable Appliance Tested (PAT) and they must have the relevant public liability insurance. Please see our recommended suppliers.

Do we need to hire a dancefloor?
Our dancefloor area is huge so you do not need to hire one in. If you want to hire a dance floor this can be arranged only through the in-house DJ.
Please note if you have a dance floor and are holding your ceremony inside the Orangery guests will need to vacate this area after the ceremony to allow enough time for the dancefloor to be set up.

Do you allow confetti?
Confetti is permitted provided it is natural drier or fresh petals only. Confetti is permitted outside of the Orangery but if an indoor wedding then in the ceremony area only. Hayne House are able to provide this for a fee if needed.

What decorations can we bring?
The orangery is your blank canvas for the day, we do suggest bringing in a venue stylist or florist to help decorate the venue. We do ask that nothing permanent is put into the woodwork. However, we do have hooks hidden around the orangery and lanterns for ease.

At the end of the night, the Hayne House staff will collate all your decorations ready for collection the next day at 9:30 with checkout at 10:00.

Can we use outside suppliers?
Other than those included in the venue (Caterers, DJ, Chair Dressings) you are welcome to include outside suppliers to make your day as you planned, including cake, videographer, magicians, etc. However, please note any supplier requiring power will need to email their public liability insurance and PAT testing certificates to Hayne House six weeks prior to your wedding.

Please note we do not allow external caterers.

Are we allowed fireworks?
Unfortunately, we do not permit Fireworks or Chinese lanterns at Hayne House for Safety and Environmental reasons.

Do you have a cake knife and cake stand?
We have an engraved gold-plated cake knife available to you on the day of your wedding together with a 12” round cake stand.

How many tables and chairs do you have?
Inside the Orangery, we provide you with 120 Chiavari Chairs | 12 x 5ft6 Round Tables | 8 x 6ft Trestle Tables 6ft long | 1 x 3ft round cake table

Can we bring in our wine?
Corkage is available to give your flexibility. However, please be aware that this is not always a cost saving option.

Per wine bottle (75cl)                            £10
Per bottle of bubbly (75cl)                     £15

Corkage costs include chilling of wines, staff and glassware.

We do not allow spirits to be brought on site on a corkage basis.

Do you have a fully stocked bar?
We offer a full range of drinks from our stylish bar in The Orangery, including beers and spirits. The bar is usually open for the groom’s arrival but will close during the ceremony – as per the terms and conditions of our licence.

All glassware, staff, ice and garnishes are included.

Does the bar take cash and card?
The bar is card only, we accept all cards.

Can we put money behind the bar?
You are welcome to put ‘money’ behind the bar.  This must be paid in advance and you must specify how much, when and what guests can drink.

Are you dog friendly?
We love dogs at Hayne House and we are able to welcome them, but your furry friends are limited to the venue gardens and Orangery. Sadly, we don’t allow pets in the Former Hunting Lodge. 

Pets must be off-site before the start of food service and kept on a lead at all times.

Do you have baby change facilities?
These are provided inside the Orangery and parents are welcome to use one of the rooms in the house for feeding. The caterers will happily warm through any baby food on request.

Do you have disabled access?
Yes, the Orangery and restrooms are all wheelchair friendly – you can request a ramp should you need access inside the Hunting Lodge.

What times can we check in and out?
The Pamper Cottage is available from 08:00 on the morning of the wedding, guests are able to access the guest rooms from 12:00.

All guests must vacate the premises by 10:00 the following day

Can you recommend any taxi companies?
Our local taxi companies include;
Folkestone Taxis | 01303 252000
JJ Taxis | 01303 244442

Please note all taxis will wait in the car park area for guests to arrive. We do suggest pre-booking taxis early to avoid waiting around.

What parking facilities do you have?
The main car park for all cars is located at the entrance of Hayne House and has ample space for parking. Disabled guests are able to be dropped closer to the venue.

Can guests leave their cars overnight?
Guests cars may be left overnight; however, they must be collected by 10:00 the next day to avoid being blocked in.

Now you’ve found a little more out about your day at Hayne House, book a viewing and find out why so many couples love this beautiful venue!